The Advanced Solutions Group (ASG) at Leidos currently has an opening for a Mechanical Engineer (ME) to work in our Orlando, FL office. The ME will prepare detailed 3D models, assemblies, and drawings, from conceptual designs in accordance to contractual requirements while applying engineering principles. The ME will calculate dimensions, tolerance stack up, weight capacities, Center of Gravity and perform stress analysis by applying mathematical formulas or utilizing FEA tools. The ME will perform scaling, dimensioning, unit measurement conversions in order to best utilize commercial off the shelf (COTS) equipment. The ME will implement company design standards, part commonality and low cost, best value solutions into their designs. The ME will work in a cross functional engineering team and will work with multiple, other disciplines including Manufacturing, Logistics, Technical Publications, and Program Management in order to meet contractual obligations. The ME will have a working knowledge of Electro-Mechanical Designs and be able to work across platforms to communicate requirements to other engineering team members.
• Review and analyze requirements, participate in defining, deriving and allocating hardware requirements;
• Perform and document trade studies of potential solutions;
• Plan and estimate efforts and document basis of estimation;
• Utilize Solidworks to create, modify and integrate models;
• Reverse engineer mechanical hardware from actual parts by recording dimensional data and recreating it as a 3D model;
• Create part drawings, assembly drawings and Bills of Material;
• Work to redlined drawings and part lists;
• Create documentation, as needed, to confirm design approach prior to implementation and to ensure clear and accurate communication of all design details needed to produce complex hardware devices;
• Capture and document design decisions in accordance with prescribed process;
• Review hardware design with engineering and development team and with customers, capture and respond professionally to all feedback;
• Support updating of manuals and other documents with technical drawings;
• Follow best practices for creating safe, usable, reliable, maintainable, producible designs which satisfy all applicable requirements;
• Follow the design standards of the organization and add to the Leidos culture of high standards and product excellence;
• Follow company guidance on configuration control of source data, designs and associated artifacts;
• Accurately record hours and report status. Participate in daily stand ups, weekly status and monthly reporting cycles.
External Referral Eligible
To be considered for this position, you must minimally meet the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below:
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Mechanical Engineering via an accredited institution, and 2+ years of experience developing mechanical designs; or an AA in Engineering with 6 years’ experience;
• Demonstrated ability to perform requirements driven design and implementation, understanding of methods to maintain requirements traceability;
• Demonstrated ability to work with a diverse [matrixed] team in a fast paced environment;
• Working Knowledge of Government standards and requirement in preparing drawing packages for contract deliverable Product Drawing Packages and related documents;
• Working knowledge of standard drafting policies;
• Experience working with Solidworks 2012 or newer;
• Excellent oral, written, and visual/graphical communications skills;
• Eligible for a security clearance.
• Experience in DoD virtual, augmented reality and maintenance trainer development;
• Experience in automotive and/or avionics design;
• Experience with hardware/software integration and formal user acceptance processes.