Leidos has an opening for a Data Architect to oversee database operations and design improvements for a portfolio of on-line applications for a large Department of Homeland Security (DHS) program. The Data Architect will translate business needs into enhanced solution capabilities and performance for a complex web services-based architecture hosting disparate types of data through all phases of design, implementation, and support. Responsibilities include:
• Collaborate with customers and translate their business needs into data strategy and data architecture solutions and designs.
• Develop innovative database solutions that increase scalability and performance and minimize downtime; perform modeling to assess and enhance database capacity and performance.
• Recommend improvements to existing database designs to structure the data for more efficient data management and access.
• Create and maintain a central repository of all data architecture artifacts including data dictionaries, database administration procedures, scripts, and security controls.
• Develop data warehousing blueprints, evaluate new tools and technologies, and integrate application database models.
• Design, implement, and test database security and archive/recovery procedures; conduct regular performance and integrity tests; and produce detailed test reports.
• Analyze event data and access data to assess compliance, improve productivity, and detect access violations.
• Lead troubleshooting, root cause analysis, problem analysis, and resolution.
• May provide guidance and direct the work of database administrators.
• Manage and report on performance indicators and metrics and meet or exceed all assigned contractual SLAs and KPIs;
• Oversee execution of projects in accordance with budget, schedule, and quality;
• Maintain currency on technology, processes, and tools and provide inputs for white papers and proposals; and
• Provide accurate, concise reporting to management and customer.
* NOTE: This position can be based out of Gaithersburg, MD or Alexandria, VA
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field;
• Requires BS degree and 12 – 15 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 10 – 13 years of prior relevant experience. May possess a Doctorate in technical domain.
• Minimum of five years of experience as a data architect;
• Demonstrated experience with developing logical and physical data models; taxonomies and/or controlled vocabularies; XML and data/information exchange models, standards, or tools;
• Solid experience with at least one enterprise RDBMS, e.g., Oracle, DB2, or SQL Server;
• Experience with geospatial databases and web-based geospatial technology;
• Experience in evaluating data architectures, recommending change, and communicating recommendations to senior management and customers;
• Experience presenting briefings to senior customer management, customer stakeholders, and company management; and
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
• Experience with Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) programs;
• Experience working in an Agile development and deployment environment;
• Experience migrating data to cloud computing platform;
• Experience with enterprise search engines such as Elasticsearch and Solr;
• Experience in open source and NOSQL database technologies;
• Demonstrated performance leading IT services delivery and achieving service level agreements.