This position is in support of the United States Attorney's Office (USAO) in Eugene, OR at 405 E. 8th Ave. The estimated length of this assignment is through May 31, 2018 with the possibility of one(1) one year extension.
Overtime and travel may be authorized as needed with proper approvals.
Provides a variety of direct legal support assistance services to attorneys and staff within the Automated Litigation Support (ALS) unit performing the following tasks but not limited to:
*Serves as support responsible for directly and indirectly supporting the Criminal and Civil divisions by providing technical and analytical assistance to support the litigation needs of the United States Attorney's Office (USAO).
*Performs a variety of automated support necessary to prepare, organize, index, develop, and manage exhibits, evidence and data relevant to cases presented before a jury, grand jury or in other legal proceedings.
*The work requires a specialized knowledge of the processes, procedures, and practices of automated litigation support activities in conjunction. With knowledge of clerical and administrative office skills and an ability to apply these skills to increase the effectiveness of the Automated Litigation Support (ALS) unit.
*Provide document management analyst services to include, but not limited to the following: Provides technical assistance to litigation teams on legal automation requirements and systems capabilities to facilitate litigation decisions, trial preparation and trial presentation. Applies a basic knowledge of Federal Criminal and Civil procedures, court requirements, and district practices to implement computer applications needed for criminal and civil cases.
*Performs a wide range of information system analysis, development and installation in support of District Litigation support activities for assigned cases.
*Works with Assistant United States Attorneys (AUSAs), investigators, federal agents and support staffs to recommend the most effective strategy to meet litigation needs.
*Develops alternative methods and encourages the use of automated support for trial preparation and presentation.
*Identifies software packages such as: databases, spreadsheets and word processing applications based on the effectiveness of (l) presenting complex and voluminous evidence, (2) producing graphic demonstrative evidence, and (3) meeting individual user needs. Suggests and develops the most effective trial presentation.
* Assists and/or trains attorneys and legal support staff in organizing voluminous case information for efficient retrieval through automated means such as scanning, indexing and controlling of documents into a database.
* Assures documents are organized for efficient automated storage and retrieval by preparing appropriate indices, defining data file search criteria and indexing/coding fields.
* Monitors the progress of computer data entry effort. Prepares computerized trial presentation programs.
*In coordination with the ALS Manager, analyzes automated litigation support functions and monitors system use and response time.
* Works with ALS staff in diagnosing and resolving litigation support computer system problems and customizing databases and programs modified to meet individual user needs.
* Evaluates procedures and computer specifications designed to ensure indexing consistency, and to maximize the ease with which documents can be retrieved from tailored data files on the computer or other storage medium.
* Manages and operates a variety of computer hardware such as printers, plotters, audio-visual devices, and other state-of-the-art equipment to conceptualize exhibits and complete special presentation projects.
* Applies knowledge of U.S. Attorney and court programs, automation requirements and characteristics to resolve problems.
* Performs work that involves communicating through visual means.
* Assures computers and VCR/TV recording equipment is in place in courtrooms and grand jury sessions.
* Determines the placement and appearance of visual materials that will most effectively convey the information to the court, jury, and/or witnesses.
* Coordinates with vendors to insure that exhibits are prepared in a timely fashion.
* Prepares photo boards, maps, charts and other demonstrative exhibits required for litigation.
* Operates systems in the courtroom as needed.
* Maintains inventory and tracking for a variety of litigation support equipment i.e. graphics, computer-based equipment, photographing devices, video and audio equipment, models and other items commonly used in trial preparation.
* Maintains equipment to insure it is properly functioning.
* Trains users on equipment used in the facility.
* Directs purchase and repair of equipment.
* Recommends modifications and upgrades of services and equipment. *Performs other related duties.