The Basic Science Program (BSP) pursues independent, multidisciplinary research in basic and applied molecular biology, immunology, retrovirology, cancer biology, and human genetics. Research efforts and support are an integral part of the Center for Cancer Research (CCR) at the Frederick National Laboratory for Cancer Research (FNLCR). KEY ROLES/RESPONSIBILITIES This position description does not represent a current opening but may be used to identify candidates with skills and experience for positions within Leidos Biomedical Research that frequently become available. Candidates who express an interest may be considered for future positions at Leidos Biomedical Research.
The Flow Cytometry Core (Flow Core) of the Cancer amp; Inflammation Program (CIP) is a service core which supports the research efforts of the CCR by providing expertise in the field of flow cytometry (fluorescence cell sorting) with the goal of gaining a more thorough understanding of the biology of cancer and cancer cells. The Flow Core provides service to 12-15 CIP laboratories and more than 22 non-CIP laboratories. Flow core staff provide technical advice on the experimental design of applications, which include immunological phenotyping, cell function assays, and cell cycle analysis. Work is performed per customer requirements, and no independent research is involved. The Flow Cytometry Technician will be responsible for:
Qualifications:BASIC QUALIFICATIONS To be considered for this position, you must minimally meet the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below:
- Monitor performance of and maintain high dimensional flow cytometer analyzers and cell sorters
- Operate high dimensional flow cytometer analyzers and cell sorters
- Monitoring lab supply levels and order lab supplies, perform various record keeping responsibilities
- Assist in the training of scientific end users on the use of flow cytometry in their research, as well as how to operate and troubleshoot the bench-top analyzer instruments
- Experience with sterile technique and tissue culture
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS Candidates with these desired skills will be given preferential consideration:
- Possession of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university according to the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) in a field related to biomedical research. (Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the required education)
- Foreign degrees must be evaluated for US equivalency.
- In addition to the education requirement, a minimum of five (5) years related experience
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a clearance.
- Previous work experience in a fluorescence cell sorting
- Experience with BD flow cytometers and DIVA software
- Ability to work alone and in a team environment
- Requires analytical problem solving abilities
- Basic understanding of flow cytometry principals and multiparametric instrumentation
Leidos is a global science and technology solutions leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported pro forma annual revenues of approximately $10 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2016 after giving effect to the recently completed combination of Leidos with Lockheed Martin's Information Systems Global Solutions business (IS GS). For more information, visit www.Leidos.com. The company’s diverse employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Leidos will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment in accordance with relevant Laws. Leidos is an Equal Opportunity Employer.