The candidate will be responsible for performing program and or project level systems architecture design and documentation tasks for numerous Census specific applications in a Systems of Systems (SoS) environment in preparation for the Decennial Census using established engineering processes and USCB policy and procedures. The candidate will perform on a multi-discipline team to make architectural design recommendations to ensure applications are secure, scalable, and reliable to support the Decennial mission. Additionally, support other program team members with ensuring the infrastructure environment (On-Premise Data Center amp; Cloud) is sized to support the scale of the Decennial Census. Work to review and/or establish system information requirements using analysis of the information engineer(s) in the development of enterprise-wide or large-scale information systems. Document technical recommendations and design artifacts in program deliverable reports and status briefings that recommend appropriate design architecture to include the software, hardware, and communications to support the total requirements as well as provide for present and future cross-functional requirements and interfaces. Ensure these systems are compatible and in compliance with the standards for open systems architectures, as they apply to the implementation and specification of information management solution of the application platform, across the API, and the external environment/software application. Ensure that the common operating environment is compliant with the USCB enterprise architecture and applicable reference models. Design architectural solutions for problems identified by the Technical Readiness Assessment teams in workflows, organization, and planning and develop appropriate corrective actions.
- Requires a BS Degree and 12-15 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 10-13 years of relevant experience.
• Senior Information Technology (IT) Engineer who performs as a recognized authority in his/her field and exhibits an exceptional degree of ingenuity, creativity and resourcefulness; applies and/or develops highly advanced principles, theories and concepts in managing large scale contracts; acts independently to resolve major problems; manages, leads and advises staff members in order to meet established objectives; responsible to accomplish long range objectives; self–supervised; decisions have a prolonged positive effect on organization’s reputation and business posture; consultant to senior management and prime spokesperson to customer on company capabilities and future efforts.
• Experience with enterprise software projects including utility front/back office application integration. Full Project Lifecycle experience, including definition, requirements gathering, design, construction, testing and deployment. Demonstrated ability to architect and deliver solutions with minimal supervision.
• Ability to utilize and apply project management and technical governance to ensure control of the engineering technical baseline. Plan to ensure work products and deliverables are developed and delivered according to program schedules
• Experience in working in all phase of the Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC) and capability to work in both waterfall and agile development processes. Experience with SAFe preferred.
• Working expert knowledge with industry standard Enterprise Architecture (EA) methodologies and frameworks such as Federal Enterprise Architecture (FEA), The Open Group Architecture Framework (TOGAF), etc.
• Experience working with major vendors (hardware and software)
• Working knowledge of application and infrastructure development methodologies and industry best practices.
• Experience working with Micro-services, Structured Query Language (SQL) / NO-SQL, and or Service Oriented Architecture (SOA).
• Unified Modeling Language (UML), Architecture Patterns, Performance Modeling and Interface Definition
• Experience with Federal Systems development and integration with emphasis on Systems architectures analysis and development.
• Tools/Technology Experience: MS SharePoint environment, knowledge/experience working with architectural tools such as Erwin, System Architect, MS Visio, MS Office Suite.
• Organizational Skills: Can plan and prioritize work, both their own and that of project team. Follows tasks to their logical conclusion and makes sure that everything has been done to the right standard. Good attention to detail.
• Team Work: Able to enthuse and maintain team interest. Comfortable working both individually and as part of a team. Prepared to challenge ideas within a group in a constructive way. Ability to influence others and move a team toward a common vision or goal.
• Leadership: Acute business acumen and understanding of organizational issues and challenges. Able to work effectively at all levels in an organization. Serves as top consultant to top management in long-range planning concerning new or projected areas of technical research and advancements. Prime external spokesperson for the company on highly significant matters relating to research, engineering matters, programs, and technical capabilities. Often instrumental in attracting and obtaining major new business.
• Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and efficiently to team members and clients, verbally and in writing. Able to present ideas in a variety of ways depending upon audience and context. Excellent active listening skills.
• Quantitative Management: Ability to determine process measures and track to determine process effectiveness and efficiency.
• Problem Solving: Natural inclination for planning strategy and tactics. Ability to analyze problems and determine root cause, generating alternatives, evaluating and selecting alternatives and implementing solutions.
• Results oriented: Able to drive things forward regardless of personal interest in the task.