The Basic Science Program (BSP) pursues independent, multidisciplinary research in basic and applied molecular biology, immunology, retrovirology, cancer biology, and human genetics. Research efforts and support are an integral part of the Center for Cancer Research (CCR) at the Frederick National Laboratory for Cancer Research (FNLCR).
The Flow Cytometry Core (Flow Core) in the Cancer amp; Inflammation Program (CIP) is a service core which supports the research efforts of the CCR by providing expertise in the field of flow cytometry (fluorescence cell sorting) with the goal of gaining a more thorough understanding of the biology of the immune system, cancer, and inflammation processes. The Flow Core provides service to 12-15 CIP laboratories and more than 22 non-CIP laboratories. Flow core staff provide technical advice on the experimental design of applications, which include immunological phenotyping, cell function assays, and cell cycle analysis. Work is performed per customer requirements, and no independent research is involved.
Flow Cytometry Scientist - The individual will be responsible for:
- Daily management of the Flow Cytometry Core, to include the supervision and guidance of technical staff members
- Monitor performance of and maintain high dimensional flow cytometer analyzers and cell sorters
- Operate high dimensional flow cytometer analyzers and cell sorters
- Provide scientific expertise to the user community and facilitate the development of cutting edge technologies
- Interact with Flow Core users and customers, and provide technical and scientific advice, and guidance regarding their experiments, including possible collaborations
- Train staff and scientific end users on the use of flow cytometry in their research, as well as teach them how to operate and troubleshoot the bench-top analyzer instruments
- Prepare and deliver lectures, as well as one-on-one training sessions, with customers/users
- Ensure that protocols are up-to-date, and appropriately adhered to
- Experience with sterile technique and tissue culture
To be considered for this position, you must minimally meet the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below:
- Possession of a Doctoral degree from an accredited college/university according to the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) in a field related to biomedical research. Foreign degrees must be evaluated for US equivalency. (Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the required education).
- In addition to educational requirements, candidates should have had two (2) or more years of competent, innovative research experience beyond doctoral training in a related field of specialty.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a clearance.
Candidates with these desired skills will be given preferential consideration:
- Previous work experience in a fluorescence cell sorting
- Experience with BD flow cytometers and DIVA software
- Previous management or training experience
- Ability to work alone and in a collaborative team environment
- Requires analytical problem-solving abilities
- Basic understanding of flow cytometry principles and multiparametric instrumentation
Leidos is a global science and technology solutions leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported pro forma annual revenues of approximately $10 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2016 after giving effect to the recently completed combination of Leidos with Lockheed Martin's Information Systems Global Solutions business (IS GS). For more information, visit www.Leidos.com. The company’s diverse employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Leidos will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment in accordance with relevant Laws. Leidos is an Equal Opportunity Employer.