The Facilities Maintenance and Engineering (FME) Directorate is responsible for laboratory space, administrative space, infrastructure, campus landscape, planning, and design, and construction management at Frederick National Laboratory for Cancer Research.
The HVAC mechanic is responsible for:
- Troubleshooting operating, maintaining and repairing heating ventilations, air conditioning and refrigeration
- Maintaining all aspects of temperature/humidity control systems and auxiliary equipment, and disassembling units and restore to operating conditions
- Performing related work on all auxiliary HVAC/Refrigeration systems and components, inspecting equipment, buildings, utility systems, or other facilities needing heating and cooling work, including performing weekly, monthly and annual preventive maintenance
- Maintaining logs and records of equipment operations, and understanding and operating computer based building automation systems (BAS)
- Occasionally working beyond normal duty hours, including weekends and holidays
- Contributes to the overall success of Operation and Maintenance Department by performing other essential duties and responsibilities as assigned
To be considered for this position, you must minimally meet the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below:
- Possession of a high school diploma or equivalent
- In addition to the education requirements, a minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience
- Universal Certification by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Knowledge of the principles and theories of air conditioning and refrigeration’s such as the refrigeration cycle, heat transfer laws, the use of refrigerant tables
- Ability to perform physical duties including frequently lifting and carrying up to 50lbs.
- Duties require full range of motion, and include walking, prolonged standing, climbing stairs, bending, stooping, and working in confined areas, potential exposure to particulates, vapors or noisy environment
- Work is performed indoors and out-of-doors, occasionally in environments that are dusty, noisy, or which could have work hazards.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a security clearance
Candidates with these desired skills will be given preferential consideration:
- Ability to calculate airflow and pressure-temperature characteristics
- Knowledge in the installation, operation, maintenance and repair of heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration systems
- Ability to read and interpret, instructions, blueprints, and work orders
- Experience in installation, maintenance and the repair of air-conditioning chillers, air handling, chilled water distribution, and control systems of an equivalent combination of training and experience
- Strong Building Automation System (BAS) background
Leidos is a global science and technology solutions leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported pro forma annual revenues of approximately $10 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2016 after giving effect to the recently completed combination of Leidos with Lockheed Martin's Information Systems Global Solutions business (IS GS). For more information, visit www.Leidos.com. The company’s diverse employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Leidos will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment in accordance with relevant Laws. Leidos is an Equal Opportunity Employer.