Leidos is looking for an Environmental Management System (EMS) Specialist to serve as part of a team to conduct EMS and environmental compliance audits. Travel is required and can be more than two weeks per month and include travel to all 50 states and territories. Audits are typically conducted Monday through Friday (includes travel time). Occasional travel may be required from Sunday to Friday. Travel is reimbursable. Individual must be professional and courteous in a team environment and be able to work well under limited supervision. Individual must be able to follow specific, detailed procedures and be able to review work for technical accuracy and adequacy. Individual must have a solid understanding of ISO 14001 requirements and a basic understanding of environmental compliance regulations. In addition to EMS auditing, the individual could also assist in conducting multimedia environmental compliance audits; writing various environmental plans including SPCC Plans or SWPPPs; assisting in preparing and potentially giving environmental and/or EMS training; assisting in data gathering for EPCRA-TRI and other environmental reporting, and other EMS and environmental compliance tasks, as they arise.
Location: Near any major U.S. airport as significant travel is required
Other responsibilities include:
1. Conducting EMS audits of government and commercial facilities.
2. Using regulatory knowledge of environmental laws and ISO 14001 to ensure correct deficiencies are written.
3. Identifying both positive and negative deficiencies.
4. Composing audit findings per client-driven media (database or other tool).
5. Entering audit findings in Microsoft computer programs and database software.
6. Using teaching and directional tools to help educate and train personnel receiving the conformance/compliance audit.
7. Clearly explain and brief findings to customers in a formal setting.
8. Perform quality assurance reviews and editing of written findings.
• Bachelor’s degree in biology, environmental science, geology or related
• 2+ years’ experience in the field conducting EMS audits. A combination of auditing and conducting compliance-related work, such as writing SPCC Plans, SWPPPs, environmental permits, etc. will be considered. Must have experience conducting at least 10 multimedia environmental compliance audits over the past 2 years (minimum).
• Must be a trained ISO 14001 Lead Auditor.
• Must have experience conducting at least 10 EMS audits over the past 2 years (minimum).
• Must be a proactive, willing to learn, and willing to travel more than 2 weeks a month.
• Must work well in a team environment.
• Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Must be able to exercise considerable independent judgment in conducting EMS audits, inspections, and related field activities.
• A Exemplar Global Inc (formerly RABQSA International)-certified Lead Auditor is a plus.
• Must be computer literate with a capability to work in a team environment.
• Environmental multimedia compliance auditing experience is a plus, especially experience auditing in California.
• Basic knowledge of air quality regulatory compliance is also a plus.