JOB SUMMARY: <?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
The job of the Senior Acoustician/Signal Processor is to develop and deploy advanced technology solutions that address existing and emerging maritime missions of national importance for a broad range of customers across the Department of Defense, Homeland Security, Intelligence Community, other governmental agencies and commercial clients. The qualified candidate will perform ocean acoustic/signal processing system research, development and application with increasingly complex operational assignments. MSD is currently seeking a qualified, energetic technical leader to fill the position of Senior Scientist – Acoustics amp; Signal Processing. MSD is an industry leader in developing, applying, and advancing the state of the art technologies for maritime C4ISR systems including distributed netted sensor systems, communications systems, position, navigation and timing (PNT) systems, tactical decision systems, and autonomous unmanned platforms. Leidos maritime systems are addressing complex mission requirements and pioneering impressive firsts in the application of novel physical insights translated into advanced signal processing solutions applied to the full range of maritime missions. The MSD team includes an outstanding group engineers and scientists who are engaged in these activities in support of a broad range of activities ranging from advanced prototype development for DARPA, ONR and other S amp;T customers to support for ongoing Navy missions. The successful applicant will become part of a world-class team that is a recognized leader in maritime systems development. Some travel required, as well as possible time at sea.
- Technical leadership and support on direct customer programs.
- Active leadership of and participation in new customer development efforts and new business generation.
- Active participation in technical, academic and standards communities relevant to ocean acoustics, signal and array processing for sensing, communications, PNT, and/or unmanned autonomous systems.
- Promote and maintain a thriving R amp;D environment for maritime technology staff that fosters creativity and collaboration and facilitates recruitment and retention of other outstanding technical contributors.
- Collaborates with MSD managers and other technical leads to support capture efforts.
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS<?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
- Master’s degree or Ph.D. in Physics, Oceanography, Acoustics, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, or other relevant field required and 10+ years of related experience.
- Achieving success in this role requires an individual who is a recognized expert in one or more of the following areas: ocean acoustic sensing, modeling and/or experimentation, acoustic signal processing, RF signal processing, adaptive array processing, acoustic, detection, classification, localization and tracking (DCLT), other information processing techniques and all aspects of algorithm development.
- Expertise in Matlab programming is required.
- Effectively lead a team and establish strong, collaborative working relationships with government customers, technical staff, senior managers and peers.
- Successfully initiate new business relationships with Navy, DARPA and other customers that result in contract funding.
- Grow existing customer relationships and programs through responsiveness to customer needs, sustained excellence in program execution, and active engagement in the modeling technology community.
- Contribute to the successful capture of competitive Navy, DARPA and other procurements.
- Gain internal support and operate independently.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, along with excellent written and oral communication skills, as evidenced by a strong publication record in archival journals and presentations at professional society conferences such as the Acoustical Society of America.
- Must have a Department of Defense (DoD) SECRET clearance with the ability to obtain a TOP SECRET clearance.
- Ph.D. degree is highly desirable.
- Active TOP SECRET clearance.
- Military experience in US Navy or Coast Guard.
- Expertise in any of Maritime Operations, Oceanography, GIS.