Location: Harlow England
Security Clearance: SC
Job Title: Lead Network EngineerLocation: HarlowFunction : Information TechnologyRaytheon UK has an opportunity for an experienced Lead Network Engineer within the UK Information Technology function. The function is responsible for the delivery of IT services to all UK based divisions to successfully enable our expanding business and assure operational delivery of critical functions and services that are reliant on all aspects of technology. The Role is primarily responsible for the design, support, maintenance and overall operation of Raytheon’s network estate. The successful candidate will ideally be qualified to expert level in core network technologies and is responsible for providing expertise, technical leadership and input to the design and operation of Raytheon UK’s LAN/WAN infrastructure.Summary of RoleLeads and supports the design, installation, maintenance, administration, and support of Raytheon UK networks in a complex multi-protocol LAN/WAN environment.Performs any and all activities associated with the network infrastructure and telecommunications services. Including switching, routing, encryption, security, optimisation, VoIP, wireless and appropriate management tools.Responsible for all aspects of technical network configuration and device hardening across hardware, software, cabling, bandwidth engineering, configuration planning, administration, and support of data and voice communications networks.Plans and carries out preventative maintenance to maintain service operation inline with operating standards and service level agreements.Implements new initiatives and future changes in service delivery, specifically related to corporate priority projects.Identifies utilisation patterns and their effect on operation/system availability and performance expectations, Investigates, recommends and installs enhancements and operating procedures that optimise network availability. Ensures timely user notification of maintenance requirements and effects on system availability.Main DutiesResponsible for ensuring network design changes integrate seamlessly with the existing environment and implementation occurs in accordance with enterprise standards Routinely review, analyse, recommend and plan network improvements to ensure that the network can scale to support application, user and service needs.Monitor and optimise network performance and assure network security in a high availability environment.Collaborate with and manage (when appropriate) external engineers to troubleshoot and resolve complex network issues Enforce and execute user policies and procedures regarding the use of network resources.Provide on-call support.Act as mentor to junior members of the team, including those outside of the department where possible, to drive collective positive influence on career development across the division and company.Maintain a portfolio of all items within your area of responsibility ensuring all components have a clear development roadmap, risk status, and clearly documented support and maintenance support agreements and arrangements.Establish relationships with third party suppliers and support organisations to ensure that all aspects of the service are supported effectively and efficiently.Ensure regular risk reviews take place for your areas of responsibility and clear mitigation plans are maintained in order to de risk any potential issues and minimise impact or potential degradation to business operations.Ensure adherence to and improvement of processes and procedures relating to analysis, design, development, implementation, configuration and full life cycle management.Act as sponsor on major projects and programmes being delivered, ensuring the necessary delivery and governance processes are effectively met. Maintains and manages network configuration and security requirements through proper tools and procedures.Provide oversight, advice, guidance and mentorship to junior members of the team as required.Ensure works are completed in line with all relevant Health and Safety policies and guidelines. Demonstrable Skills and Levels - SFIA Foundation DefinitionsAutonomy - Works under clear direction within a clear framework of accountability. Exercises substantial personal responsibility and autonomy. Plans own work to meet given objectives and processes.
- Influence - Influences customers, suppliers and partners at account level. May have some responsibility for the work of others and for the allocation of resources. Participates in external activities related to own specialism. Makes decisions which influence the success of projects and team objectives.
- Complexity - Work includes a broad range of complex technical or professional activities, in a variety of contexts. Investigates, defines and resolves complex issues.
- Business Skills - Selects appropriately from applicable standards, methods, tools and applications. Communicates fluently, orally and in writing, and can present complex information to both technical and non-technical audiences. Facilitates collaboration between stakeholders who share common objectives. Plans, schedules and monitors work to meet time and quality targets. Rapidly absorbs new information and applies it effectively. Maintains an awareness of developing technologies and their application and takes some responsibility for driving own development.
- Deep knowledge of network systems, including design, troubleshooting, infrastructure (hardware, software and telecommunications), maintenance and operations.
- Direct experience in building scalable and highly available distributed networks.
- Experience problem solving and troubleshooting complex, distributed network systems.
- Expert in routing and switching - CISCO IOS and NX-OS knowledge is required
- Demonstrated knowledge of firewall and Intrusion Detection Systems.
- Experience of configuring and troubleshooting VoIP, DNS, IPAM, VPN & IPSec, BGP & OSPF routing, load balancers, optimisation technologies and proxies in an enterprise environment.
- Strong familiarity with network monitoring and management tools.
- Knowledge and solid understanding of industry best practices. Develop long term vision of technologies and solutions.
- Ability to learn complex systems and business processes and define requirements for solutions.
- Demonstrates clarity of thinking to work through limited information and vague problem definitions.
- Able to work well with global teams, including time-zone flexibility.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to influence technical experts in other technical competencies
- SC cleared or the ability to become SC cleared.
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Engineering, Science, or Mathematics, although significant experience and track record with tertiary qualifications is acceptable.
- Cisco Certified Network Professional (minimum) CCIE preferred
- Prior experience of defence or highly regulated technical industry.
- Cisco CCIE/CCar Certification
- CISSP, CEH, Brocade Fibre Channel switching, TOGAF
- Suitable business and/or technical leadership skills in technology consulting, managed and professional services in commercial or public sector organisations.
Information and Knowledge Systems, All Information and Knowledge Systems
JBRaytheon Lead Network Engineer JP2 ICJBMeta