Location: El Segundo California
Security Clearance: None / Not Required
Within Raytheon Space and Airborne Systems’ (SAS) Whole Life Engineering Center (WLEC), the WLE Western Region Department is seeking an Engineering Fellow. The applicant will be required to be actively engaged in the technical and/or programmatic aspects of SAS Development and Sustainment programs in the Space Systems (SS) and Secure Sensor Solution (S3) business areas. The Whole Life Engineering Center includes multiple disciplines whose main objective is to influence hardware and systems design early in their life cycle to assure effective operation, reliability, maintainability and economical ownership by the customer and end user. The candidate will be responsible for driving WLE competency and skillset development, support program pursuits and execution activities and drive reliability execution activities across all SAS business areas and locations. This person will report to the SAS Whole Life Engineering Western Region Department Manager in El Segundo, CA.Job Description Primary Duties:
The Engineering Fellow will be responsible for playing a major role in the development, qualification and sustainment of Advanced Radar and EO/IR Sub-systems and Systems. The successful candidate will demonstrate leadership and visionary thinking in the design and development of advanced EO/IR and Radar Systems for Space and Airborne Applications. In particular, developing Reliability and Testability requirements and providing technical engineering leadership to ensure that cost, schedule and technical performance comply with program needs and SAS processes. The candidate will be responsible to develop Reliability/Availability/Maintainability (RAM) strategies through detailed RAM modeling and simulation techniques performed during conceptual development and detailed design activities, and support trades to influence Maintenance and Support strategies and minimize Operations and Support costs. The candidate will serve as the organizational spokesperson on advanced projects and use technical skills and knowledge in RAM to support strategic business activities that include the planning of IRAD and CRAD projects that build new technologies for the business.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Define methodologies and approaches for meeting reliability and testability requirements in an optimal manner
- Grow the capabilities of our reliability engineers
- Support key SAS pursuits during development of WLE strategies, plans and related bids and technical content.
- Assess the WLE capabilities of subcontractors and suppliers and engage to resolve technical issues.
- Assist in gap closures and supplier improvement initiatives
- Support program independent reviews, peer reviews, gates and other program engagements to identify and mitigate risks associated with WLE requirements, implementation and execution. Provide support to Raytheon fabrication, manufacturing, assembly and test operations to improve all aspects of WLE across SAS products.
- Monitor and support industry and DoD committees and initiatives related to WLE
- Establish and leverage relationships with WLE peers in other Raytheon businesses
The candidate will be a recognized expert in the WLE disciplines based on a proven and documented track record of experience and expertise spanning a minimum of 20 years across multiple programs and technologies, with experience in:
Desired Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Defining and allocating system level Reliability/Maintainability and Availability requirements for complex systems
- Reliability /Availability Modeling (RAM) and analysis of military systems. Experience using RAM modeling and analysis tools
- Reliability Growth planning/execution and measurement
- Design for Supportability
- Development of Maintenance strategies that incorporate Condition Based Maintenance (CBM), Prognostics and Heath Management capabilities
- FMECA and Reliability as part of detailed design process
- Proposal preparation
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, solid judgement, reasoning and decision making abilities
- Advocate for the application of WLE across the entire product life-cycle
- Mentoring and providing career development direction to junior engineers and imparting knowledge gained over years of experience in the WLE disciplines
- Willingness to travel to domestic and international locations
- U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position will require the ability to access US only data systems
- U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position will need a U.S. Security Clearance within 1 year of start date.
- Good understanding of international contract agreements, particularly those that are used in the US, European Union and Middle Eastern countries.
- Working knowledge of Industry-wide RMA tools
- Working knowledge of Six Sigma or related productivity program tools and processes.
- Basic understanding of Earned Value Management (EVMS).
- Existing Secret security clearance
Master’s Degree in Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics (STEM)Desired Education:
PhD in Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics (STEM) 117845
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Raytheon Space and Airborne Systems (SAS) builds radars and other sensors for aircraft, spacecraft and ships. The business also provides communications and electronic warfare solutions and performs research in areas ranging from linguistics to quantum computing. SAS is headquartered in McKinney, Texas USA. As a global business, our leaders must have the ability to understand, embrace and operate in a multicultural world -- in the marketplace and the workplace. We strive to hire people who reflect our communities and embrace diversity and inclusion to advance our culture, develop our employees, and grow our business.Raytheon
is headquartered in Waltham, Massachusetts. Follow us on Twitter
Systems Engineering, Space and Airborne Systems, Engineering, All Systems Engineering
JBRaytheon Engineering Fellow – Whole Life Engineering JP2 ICJBMeta