Provide scientific and engineering services in spacecraft design and spacecraft systems engineering to include:
- Conduct spacecraft systems engineering to develop preliminary design approaches for hosting new remote sensing payloads on satellites, with emphasis on small low-cost satellite platforms
- Analyze sensor payload size, weight, and power-thermal (SWAP-T) requirements to determine compatibility with small satellite design constraints
- Develop preliminary sensor hardware packaging and integration concepts compatible with small satellite platforms
- Perform analysis of space-ground data throughput requirements and develop initial communications concepts that support them
- Model spacecraft dynamics, including attitude determination, control, and guidance and navigation to identify design approaches that meet mission requirements for agility, pointing error, geolocation, and stability
- Determine on-board processing requirements and identify supporting hardware options
- Support mission application analysis to determine whether spacecraft performance will support mission objectives
- Perform modeling to develop multi-satellite constellation concepts designed for satisfaction of defined mission objectives
The place of performance shall be at a government facility in Springfield Virginia.
Labor skills requirements:
- TS/SCI clearance, active CI polygraph
- Bachelor’s degree in aerospace engineering or related technical field such as mechanical engineering or electrical engineering. Master’s preferred.
- 10 years of experience in satellite systems engineering and design
- Practical knowledge of critical spacecraft subsystems – AD&C, GNC, TT&C, C&DH, power, thermal, structures, comms, propulsion, processing, etc.
- Ability to work independently or in a small multidisciplinary team toward an objective with minimal external direction
- Written and oral communications skills to interface with and brief program sponsors, technical staff, and external partners on technical plans and progress
- Skilled in independently balancing a fair work load, managing priorities, maintaining a commitment to quality standards, overcoming obstacles, and achieving results
- Organizational skills to work with a variety of people in different disciplines, working from multiple locations on tasks involving rapidly changing information