Engineering Fellow: Energetic Materials and Processing The Materials and Process Engineering (M&PE) Department of the Mechanical Subsystems Engineering Directorate (MSD) is seeking an experienced Senior Materials Engineer with working knowledge and documented experience in Chemicals and Energetic Materials. The selected candidate will be responsible for supporting material systems requirements, leading integration efforts at suppliers, supporting all phases of programs including; development, test and production. The candidate will present work in program and department reviews, and provide expert guidance, leadership and mentoring to your peers and team members. The Engineering Fellow position is in the Materials and Process Engineering Department of the Mechanical Subsystems Directorate. This organization is responsible for the full spectrum of Materials and Process engineering, including polymers, plastics, elastomers, metals ceramics, glasses, lubricants, coatings, composites, energetics, adhesive, sealants, and electronic material. The Department is responsible for the development, selection, specification, testing, evaluation, characterization, and innovation in materials and materials processing. The Department performs work in all stages of the product life cycle, including failure analysis and material support for the supply base. As a core team member your objectives will include:
Key Responsibilities (essential functions):
- Program Technical Performance: Provide guidance, influence, leadership and technical advocacy for materials & processes in energetics, ensuring optimal technical solutions, solid risk analysis, completing project milestones, and guiding manufacturing at suppliers.
- Research & Development: Establish technical plans and work with internal teams on IRAD and working with customers to convert IRAD into CRAD.
- Organizational Development: Participate in the training and development of team members and new hires. Serve as a mentor both formally and informally.
- Develop Intellectual Property: Author papers and participate in industry conferences to share knowledge and lessons learned. Develop patents and trademarks as needed. Leverage knowledge base across adjacent technologies and help gain IRAD and CRAD funding.
- Customer Interaction: Ensure there is a high level of comfort and trust with program team and engineering leadership.
Required Experience and Skills:
- Develop energetic material strategic and technology development roadmaps
- Lead development of design concepts energetic materials
- Select, analyze, test and evaluate energetic materials for missile applications
- Provide technical oversight of subcontracted design activities and technical direction to Materials engineers
- Support failure analysis and corrective action
- Present Energetic design models and supporting analyses/test results to internal and customer review meetings
- Support proposals requiring material technologies
- Provide counsel and mentoring for more junior members of the Department
- Oversee development of Critical Item Development Specifications (CIDS)
- Oversee fact-finding and contract negotiations
- Test data reduction
- Ensure technical rigor and depth of all deliverables
- A minimum of 12 years of experience in propellants and energetic materials engineering or equivalent
- Must have demonstrated knowledge of / experience in:
- Engineering design in development projects
- Chemistry and properties of energetic materials
- Processing and formulation of energetic materials systems
- Properties and evaluation of energetic materials
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Work, Excel, Power Point & Project)
- Project Management as applied to team interaction and deliverables
- Technical management of subcontracts on Government programs
- Proposal and cost preparation, requirements definition, analysis, test and verification; operational test support; supplier collaboration
- Must be willing to travel to suppliers and government facilities
- Must currently have or be able to obtain a DoD issued Secret security clearance
- U.S. Citizenship is required
Degree Requirements: Bachelor of Science Chemistry; Materials Science and/or Engineering; Applied PhysicsDesired Experience and Skills:
Check us out on YouTube:
- PhD in Inorganic Chemistry, Material Science
- 25 years of directly related experience in Energetic materials design, development, and test
- Supplier collaboration experience and oversight generating specifications and statements of work (SOW)
- Experience in business development and technology road mapping
- Strong interpersonal skills working in a team environment with positive interaction
- Strong network across energetics technical community
Raytheon Company Overview
Are you ready to be remarkable with Raytheon?
The Five Most Powerful Missiles Made by Raytheon
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Raytheon Missile Systems (RMS) is the world leader in the design, development and production of missile systems for critical requirement including air-to-air, strike, surface Navy air defense, land combat missiles, guided projectiles, exoatmospheric kill vehicles, missile defense and directed energy weapons. RMS is headquartered in Tucson, Arizona with over 11,000 employees operating at sites across the country and internationally.
Security Clearance: Secret
Relocation Eligible: Yes
Aerospace Engineering, Chemical Engineering, General Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Physics, Engineering, All