The Hardware Engineering Center (HWEC) is an engineering organization that focuses on product producibility and mission assurance. It is a vital link in the integrated product development process that allows Raytheon Space and Airborne Systems to introduce reliable new products faster, better, and more economically.
HWEC seeks a motivated senior Optical Engineer willing to apply their knowledge and experience in optical design, analysis, integration, and test to the development of advanced optical imaging telescopes, spectrometers, sensors, and special test equipment. Tasks may include performing critical opto-mechanical alignments, testing and troubleshooting of refractive and reflective assemblies, analyzing line of sight and budget allocations, optical requirements derivation, creating test and alignment plans, and interfacing with customers and suppliers. This engineer will be expected to work in a collaborative environment, at times contributing to multiple programs as a technical resource, and providing leadership and optical oversight where required. Additionally, the engineer should be capable of working with minimal supervision, anticipate and solve problems, and basically own all aspects of the optical design.Required Skills:
- At least 6 years of professional experience in the industry along with a Bach Degree.
- Equivalent of 6+ years of experience in Optical Engineering.
- Demonstrated ability to align, test, and troubleshoot refractive and reflective optical set-ups and systems.
- Ability to develop, analyze, and verify optical systems.
- Experience with hands-on laboratory optical alignment and measurement equipment.
- Must be able to work and provide leadership in a team environment.
- Self-starter, ability to execute job assignments with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to transition R&D Experiments into engineering products.
- Excellent communication skills, both internally and with external suppliers and customers.
- Must be able to obtain an active DoD Security Clearance
- Must be able to obtain an active SSBI
- Must be a U.S. Citizen
- Experience with optical hardware intended for use in space environment.
- Knowledge and experience in cleaning and bonding of optics.
- Hands-on experience with optical fabrication.
- Additional experience in high energy lasers and large format optics are a plus.
- Prior experience in Defense or Aerospace.
- B.S. from an ABET accredited university with a major in Optics, Physics, Engineering or Mathematics.
U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position will need a U.S. Security Clearance on first day of employment.This position requires a U.S. person or the ability to obtain an Export Authorization from the appropriate government agency for non-U.S. persons.
- M.S. or Ph.D. from an ABET accredited university with a major in Optics, Physics, Engineering or Mathematics.
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Raytheon Space and Airborne Systems (SAS) builds radars and other sensors for aircraft, spacecraft and ships. The business also provides communications and electronic warfare solutions and performs research in areas ranging from linguistics to quantum computing. SAS is headquartered in McKinney, Texas USA. As a global business, our leaders must have the ability to understand, embrace and operate in a multicultural world -- in the marketplace and the workplace. We strive to hire people who reflect our communities and embrace diversity and inclusion to advance our culture, develop our employees, and grow our business.Raytheon
is headquartered in Waltham, Massachusetts. Follow us on Twitter
Security Clearance: None / Not Required
Relocation Eligible: Yes
Aerospace Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Engineering Technology, General Engineering, Hardware Engineering, Integration and Test Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Mathematics, Mechanical Engineering, Optical Engineering, Physics, Software Engineering, Systems Engineering, Test Engineering, Engineering, All, Space and Airborne Systems