Are you interested in developing a deep physics-based understanding of advanced technology so that you can positively quantify the performance impact of a system?Do you like to analyze, conceptualize, optimize, design, specify and construct advanced technology?Can you translate data into stories and communicate well with peers, leadership and customers?Do you enjoy working as a member of a small team, taking on a wide range of tasks within a short time?If you answered “yes”, the Design Synthesis Department within the Advanced Systems Development Center (ASDC) at Raytheon Missile Systems is interested to find out if you are a good addition to our team of vehicle predesign engineers who synthesize system solutions that support technology growth initiatives. The charter of the Design Synthesis Department is to develop art-of-the-possible solutions to grow our business by providing right-sized engineering solutions to solve advanced engineering problems through forward thinking, reliable execution and collaboration.Your work will produce the system engineering products needed to develop systems to defend the country and our servicemen and women. You will work beside some of the best systems engineers in the world benefiting from the transfer of their knowledge to the next generation of great system engineers. Systems Engineers within the Advanced Systems Development Center coordinate across Guidance, Navigation and Control, Modeling, Simulation and Analysis, and Signal Processing disciplines in the System Design and Performance directorate. Our organization often takes the lead on fast iterative Proof of Departure Designs, Technology Demonstrations, Engineering Review Boards, and other cross discipline engagements that team with Electrical Systems, Mechanical Systems, Software, and Systems Test. The center is currently looking for entry level Systems Engineers to provide systems design capability for programs in various stages of the product life cycle.U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position needs an active U.S. Security Clearance as of day one of employment.Key Responsibilities:
Required Skills and Experience:
- Apply deep physics-based understanding of concepts and technology to vehicle predesign.
- Analyze, design, specify, construct, assemble and operate hardware, and/or writing software.
- Decompose requirements and derive lower tier requirements for the system.
- Develop system architectures that meet the system performance and interface requirements.
- Perform trade studies on the best solutions to develop the system (you determine the most efficient design that has the lowest cost).
- Establish verification and validation techniques for requirements at all levels of complex systems to include application of simulation, testing, analysis, and demonstration.
- Support new business capture efforts that support front end of the business activities for initial technologies and maturation of key enablers.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- U.S. citizenship
- Significant intern, co-op, and/or undergraduate/graduate research experience working on multi-team member projects
- Experience presenting technical information to a group audience
- Proven strong analytical skills and problem solving abilities
- Basic Engineering skills and interest in how systems are developed and function
Required Education (Including Major):
- Practical experience with military weapon systems, command and control systems, and communication systems
- Basic understanding of system architectures
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, as well as interpersonal skills with the ability to interact positively with coworkers, suppliers, management, and customers in a team environment
- Basic understanding of adjacent engineering disciplines, such as mechanical, electrical and software engineering
- Experience with model-based engineering
- Familiarity with Lean and / or Agile development approaches
- Experience prototyping and developing concepts into solutions and demonstrations
- Proactive, self-motivated
- Demonstrated success in small team activities performed in short time scales
- Must currently have or be able to obtain a DoD issued Secret Security Clearance, with ability to obtain Top Secret. DoD Top Secret clearance desired with current SSBI within last 5 years.
Must be willing to relocate to Tucson, AZ. Telecommuting is not an option.Clearance:This position requires the eligibility to obtain a security clearance. Non-US citizens may not be eligible to obtain a security clearance. The Defense Industrial Security Clearance Office (DISCO), an agency of the Department of Defense, handles and adjudicates the security clearance process. Security clearance factors include, but are not limited to, allegiance to the US, foreign influence, foreign preference, criminal conduct, security violations and drug involvement. Employment is contingent on other factors, including, but not limited to, background checks and drug screens
- Master of Science in Systems, Computer Science, Electrical, Aerospace, Physics, Optical or Mechanical Engineering from an ABET accredited curriculum with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0. GPA > 3.3 preferred.
- *** Please upload a copy of your most recent transcripts with your resume when applying to this requisition ***
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Raytheon Missile Systems (RMS) is the world leader in the design, development and production of missile systems for critical requirement including air-to-air, strike, surface Navy air defense, land combat missiles, guided projectiles, exoatmospheric kill vehicles, missile defense and directed energy weapons. RMS is headquartered in Tucson, Arizona with over 11,000 employees operating at sites across the country and internationally.
Security Clearance: Secret
Relocation Eligible: Yes
Systems Engineering, Engineering, College, All