Location: Fort Wayne Indiana
Security Clearance: Secret - Current
The Software Engineering Directorate’s vision is to be the premier solution provider for defense system software, meeting our corporate and customer commitments through world-class people, process and technology.This position is for a Department Manager (DM) to lead a strategic department within the Integrated Defense Systems (IDS) Software Engineering Directorate (SED). This department provides software solutions for large scale command and control systems. The Department Manager will be responsible for ensuring program technical performance (cost and schedule) with continuous status monitoring and problem resolution for all efforts for which his or her staff is supporting. This position will be located in Fort Wayne, IN. and will require occasional to frequent travel to develop relationships with program leads and customers. The DM will work closely and collaboratively with other IDS Mission Center Engineering Department Managers, Key Programs and Supporting Functional Organization Leads to achieve the Company's goals. The DM will have frequent interaction with Program Managers, Business Development, Engineering Directors, and Business Area VPs to achieve Business objectives. The ability to effectively manage staff to balance the needs across the organization is critical. This individual may be assigned the periodic performance of special projects by the SED Director or IDS Engineering Vice President.Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Plan, direct, and ensure appropriate leadership for development and support tasks for assigned Programs and Products.
- Ensure technical rigor and depth of all deliverables.
- Develop and maintain the Department's people resources, including Section Managers, staff, and individual contributors, in support of the technology, program, and development needs of the Engineering Collaborative Business Team (CBT) and Business Area Integrated Business Team (IBT).
- Provide effective assignment, leadership, and management for Section Managers and (IPT) / (CPT) Leads to ensure success for product development and program execution.
- Provide effective guidance, coaching and leadership to Section Managers and IPT / CPT Leads to ensure effective communications and for effective execution of the bid/proposal process and utilization of EVMS, IMS and IMP tools in program execution support.
- Support department bids and Estimate at Completes.
- Attend the Software (SW) Engineering Process Group (SEPG) tracking book as a member of the SW Engineering Process Council.
- Support IDS and IDS Engineering Leadership Team in meeting Enterprise priorities, and work with programs to develop realistic plans and commitments.
- Lead and manage the Department staff, attracting and developing effective software engineers, test engineers and engineering leaders.
- Ensure appropriate staff development through effective employee performance management including goal setting, career development, compensation planning, ranking & rating, employee training, developmental task assignments, and appropriate use of awards and recognition.
- Lead by example by being a champion of respect, diversity and inclusion, ethical conduct within the organization and interdependent execution.
- Prepare for and conduct overhead budget and department operating reviews.
- Carry out and enforce all policies of the Raytheon Company and IDS within the department.
- 12+ years of engineering experience to include leadership roles as well as technical and management background and the following:
- Broad technical background in complex, software intensive systems
- Experience in program leadership for defense/aerospace programs
- Required Education (including Major): Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, an engineering field, math or science
- This position requires an active Secret Clearance. Except in rare circumstances, only US citizens are eligible for a Security Clearance.
What’s YOUR Mission?Here at Raytheon, we work together as one global team creating trusted, innovative solutions to make the world a safer place. Our innovation spans all domains: from land and sea to air, space and cyberspace. We’re inspired by a noble mission that’s shared by Raytheon employees around the globe and an inclusive culture that empowers employees and celebrates their contributions.What We Offer: Whether you’re just starting out on your career journey or are an experienced professional, Raytheon offers a robust total rewards package that goes above and beyond with compensation; healthcare, wellness, retirement and work/life benefits; mentoring, career development, and recognition programs. Some of the superior benefits Raytheon offers include paternal leave, flexible work schedules, achievement awards, educational assistance and child/adult backup care. Diversity is at the heart of all we do at Raytheon. We embrace diversity and diverse opinions; we treat people with dignity and respect to support our inclusive culture. This allows us to retain and attract the world-class talent and supplier base we need to develop the innovative solutions our global customers depend on. We view our diversity as a competitive advantage as a key enabler of our growth."- Thomas A. Kennedy, Raytheon Chairman and Chief Executive OfficerFind out why Forbes ranks us among the top 500 of America’s Best Employers by visiting us online at www.raytheon.com.Stay Connected: Don’t miss out on what’s happening at Raytheon. Follow @Raytheon on Twitter Follow Raytheon on YouTubeFollow Raytheon on LinkedInFollow Raytheon Company on InstagramThis position requires either a U.S. Person or a Non-U.S. Person who is eligible to obtain any required Export Authorization.
- Advanced technical degree strongly preferred
14+ years in engineering experience with strong technical and management background in design and development activities.
- Previous functional/line management experience
- Technical background in large scale Department of Defense Command and Control systems
- Experience with basic defense acquisition processes for software and systems (for example, RFPs, proposals, contracts/subcontracts, Gate and Milestone Reviews – IBR, SRR , SSR, PDR , CDR, TRR , etc., formal configuration management).
- Knowledge of the Directorate's engineering disciplines and processes, including IPDS/Gate Reviews/Ops Reviews
- Knowledge of basic system engineering processes including system integration and verification
- Excellent coaching and facilitation skills
- Experience with Capability Maturity Model Integration (CMMI)
- Proven multi-disciplinary leadership ability
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong goal-setting and planning skills
- Excellent follow-through and persistence
- Experience in Raytheon Six Sigma
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Headquartered in Tewksbury, Massachusetts, IDS has 32 locations around the world. Its broad portfolio of weapons, sensors and integration systems supports its customer base across multiple mission areas, including air and missile defense systems; missile defense radars; early warning radars; naval ship operating systems; C5ITM products and services; and other advanced technologies. IDS provides affordable, integrated solutions to a broad international and domestic customer base, including the U.S. Missile Defense Agency, the U.S. Armed Forces and the Department of Homeland Security.
Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Software Engineering, All, Engineering Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Software Engineering