Leidos is seeking a NIOGEMS Map Technician in Lakewood, Colorado to support The Division of Energy and Mineral Development (DEMD) falls under the U.S. Department of the Interior, Office of the Assistant Secretary-Indian Affairs, Office of Indian Energy and Economic Development. While technically a parallel organization to the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA), DEMD supports American Indian Reservations and BIA agencies and regional offices, as well as some other federal offices.
The Division assists Tribes with the environmentally responsible exploration, development and management of their energy and mineral resources to create sustainable economies for reservations, generate new jobs and economic self-sufficiency. DEMD provides the best technical and economic advice and services to assist Indian mineral owners in achieving these goals through the environmentally sound development of their energy and mineral resources. Indian reservations – largely unexplored lands – hold vast, natural resources, and DEMD staff members are uniquely poised to offer services no other agency can provide.
DEMD-Lakewood, CO is currently staffed by approximately twenty (20) federal employees, including the Division Chief, Deputy Division Chief and Branch Chiefs, and twenty-four contractors (24), with a mixture of federal employees and contractors participating on various functional teams. The position described falls under the Branch of NIOGEMS. The National Indian Oil and Gas, Energy and Minerals System (NIOGEMS) is a database and mapping software to assist Tribes, Indian Affairs, and other government offices in managing the energy and mineral resources that are under their responsibility.
The NIOGEMS Map Technician will:
• Compile, input, and edit GIS data for development of specialized energy/mineral related maps for NIOGEMS.
• Compile, input, and edit GIS data for development of other specialized energy/mineral related maps in support of other DEMD project requirements.
• Work with the client to define and document requirements for the various data used on the constructed maps and design of the maps.
• Cataloging of the map documents.
• Provide data input and maintenance for NIOGEMS and other DEMD databases as required.
• Provide digital or hard copy requests for GIS data as directed.
• Support the NIOGEMS team with GIS skills as needed.
Must be able to obtain and maintain a federal Public Trust Clearance
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements: BA./B.S. in Geography or Natural Resources disciplines. Three or more years of direct work experience in GIS data gathering, entry, editing for map development using GIS software and data. Exposure to energy/mineral, natural resources, or engineering data and topics.
• Knowledge and use of GIS-related software, particularly ESRI’s ArcGIS.
• Ability to learn other GIS-related software, particularly NIOGEMS.
• Knowledge of various GIS data types.
• Knowledge of land grid surveys and Geographic Coordinate Database (GCDB)
• Facility with Microsoft Office, particularly Word and Excel, and presentation software.
• Good organizational and oral communication skills.
Other Requirements: Up to 20% travel may be required
Desired skills: Experience with and knowledge of the dynamics of working with American Indian Tribes and on their reservations is a plus