Location: MOUNTAIN VIEW CA US 94039
Leidos has an opening for a UAV Simulation Systems Integration Engineer in Moffett Field, CA. The Intelligent Systems Research and Development Support (ISRDS) contract supports NASA Ames Research Center in developing and infusing advanced information systems technology into NASA missions. Our scientists, engineers and information technologists support research and development of critical enabling intelligent technologies for all of the NASA Mission Directorates. This position supports the NextGen Air Traffic Management system (ATM).
Most of the concepts for the NextGen ATM system have been researched and prototyped by NASA’s Aeronautics Research Mission Directorate, and much of this R&D was conducted at NASA Ames Research Center. This on-going work focuses on increased safety and efficiency of the air transportation system. One area of ATM research at NASA Ames is the National Airspace System Constraint Evaluation and Notification Tool (NASCENT). NASCENT is a key feature of Future Air Traffic Management Concepts Evaluation Tool that allows reroute options for all aircraft in flight in US airspace to be evaluated for the effects of various environmental and operational factors, including convective weather, sector congestion status, required reroutes, and Special Use Airspaces. NASCENT continuously monitors each flight and automatically recommends an alternative route if substantial savings are available. It shows the impact of time and fuel savings and sector congestion status for the current and the alternative route. An earlier version of NASCENT has been deployed at a major airline’s Operational Center for several years for the Dallas-Fort Worth Center, and produced significant time and fuel savings and customer satisfaction. The current version of NASCENT targets comparable savings for all airlines at all FAA Air Traffic Control Centers, and supports feasibility and benefits studies in the National Airspace-wide environment.
•Support the continued NASCENT development by analyzing software performance and functionality during tests and simulations, identifying design and implementation enhancements; and evaluating their effectiveness. These enhancements include changes to algorithms, data representations, and user interfaces.
•Identifies and develops functional changes that improve the stakeholder experience by using published research papers on NASCENT, and Ames ATM researchers.
•Support the software development team using state of the practice tools and processes.
•Oversees a development team which includes outstanding researchers and software engineers, both Civil Servants and other contractors, working together to advance the capabilities of the air traffic management system.
This position requires successful completion of a government background check to access government facilities and systems. Work cannot begin on the contract without a fully adjudicated security clearance. If you are not a United States Citizen this check could take 12-18 months to complete.Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree + 10 years of experience
• Ability to identify software performance and functionality areas for enhancement potential, and design, implement and test such enhancements
• Ability to work directly with customers in a collaborative environment; excellent communication skills; ability to articulate the relative advantages and disadvantages of proposed design changes.
• Proficiency in software engineering with Java core and scripting languages (Unix shells or perl).
• Experience with multi-threaded programming and debugging.
• Attention to detail in modifying a complex system.
• Proficiency in problem solving and debugging Java software.
• Working knowledge of Eclipse IDE, unit test development, XML, and Git repository.
• Source control, documentation, and bug tracking systems such as Atlassian tools.
• Software design
• Familiarity with Agile methodology
• Be able to read and comprehend Scala
• Implement basic HTML and CSS
• Author documentation in formatted plain-text systems such as Markdown
• Familiarity with basic types of UAVs and potential challenges that may arise in operation
• Familiarity with the full life-cycle of development, from design to release
Leidos is a global science and technology solutions leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported pro forma annual revenues of approximately $10 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2016 after giving effect to the recently completed combination of Leidos with Lockheed Martin's Information Systems & Global Solutions business (IS&GS). For more information, visit www.Leidos.com. The company’s diverse employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. Leidos will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment in accordance with relevant Laws. Leidos is an equal opportunity employer/disability/vet.