The Civil Health Operation is seeking a Senior IIS/Windows System Administrator in Bethesda, MD.
• Provides Windows/IIS system administration services, providing technical support and software expertise for Windows servers to ensure that they operate accurately and efficiently in response to user requirements. Assignments shall include such diverse tasks as installing applications, diagnosing and resolving system problems, testing software, and documenting operating procedures.
• Daily tasks include but are not limited to: Installation, maintenance, and support of software (identified by the government) and vendor supplied.
• Provides IIS/Windows systems support in a production 24x7 environment, with rotating on-call duties. This includes work on nights and weekends to provide operations support and accommodate customer needs for off-hours maintenance completion.
• Records the problem symptoms (government provided pre-defined log).
• Provides resolutions for hardware and software problems.
• Analyzes root causes.
• Refers other problems (e.g. networking) to the appropriate organizations.
• Coordinates/schedules remedial actions (e.g. backups, maintenance fixes, etc.) with vendor and/or operations personnel.
• Tracks and documents status of all problems within the environment through resolution.
• Documents special procedures required for continuous operations of systems.
• Reviews monitoring logs for problem identification and suggested resolutions.
• Maintains statistical information to help track persistent problems using pre-defined log.
• Installs and configures new hardware components for operations in a Data Center networked environment.
• Interfaces with customers as necessary to support their operational environment.
• Schedules maintenance and services activities
• Plans, conducts, and reports tests with appropriate government staff.
• Tracks system utilization, daily, to determine if problems are imminent.
• Monitors and provides daily reports on system performance to pinpoint performance bottlenecks.
• Provides technical input to evaluation of alternative methods.
• Develops and maintains detailed and accurate documentation as requested by the Service Manager, team lead and/or CTR. Documentation may be required for operational procedures, troubleshooting aids, and technical analyses for products, features, and capabilities.
• Ensures all changes are logged through the use of listserv archive lists, and division, branch, and team change management procedures.
• Uses CIT and HSS service management tools, which include Service Now for work request ticket management to respond to and document work efforts requested by customers.
• In depth knowledge and experience in Windows Servers 2003/2008 configurations, administration, and performance management. Experience with 2012 desirable.
• Experience and expertise in VMware ESX virtual servers on UCS and/or HP Blade hardware is desirable.
• Experience with configuring and managing Windows clusters.
• Experience with System Center Suite (SCCM)
• General knowledge or understanding of database servers gained through server administration in the Windows environment.
• Excellent problem management and troubleshooting skills and ability to diagnose and resolve critical software and server issues.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skill to be able to ascertain user requirements and prepare documentation.
• Excellent organizational or project management skills in order to plan for upgrades to operating environments.
• Ability to work cooperatively and to function well in a team environment.
• Excellent customer interface skills.
• Ability to support Windows systems in a production 24x7 environment, with rotating on-call duties.
Requires A bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, MIS or related subject and8 years of relevant, related work experience. At least five years in a Windows server environment.
• Required 3+ year experience PowerShell scripting
• MCSA certification required
• MCSE desired.
Certain kinds of experience may be used in lieu of education. In order to substitute experience for educational requirements, the experience must be recognized as sufficiently technical or specialized to achieve the knowledge and skills needed.
Positions require US Citizen or US Person (Green Card Holder with the ability to obtain a Public Trust Clearance.